Friday, August 17, 2012

Documenting the Challenge

I am working on a new Sacque for The Challenge Event, at Minuteman Park.   What we need to do is document all our clothing for this event.  It's not all that hard, if one is careful with fabric choices....I am using this fabric:
photo

I don't remember where I got it.  It's a "barred silk", it has little skinny cross bars, in addition to the stripes.  Correction:  Mine is a ribbed silk, not barred.   The lines are white, they are just the weft.

There are similar fabrics in Revolution in Fashion 1715-1815, p.38 has the closest.  Here is a detail of the fabric in the book.  (If you haven't got this book, you need to see it!   It's terrific!)

photo

Pretty similar, hmmm?   Not perfect, but it's next to impossible to get a dead ringer in modern fabric.

My gown is almost a gown in shape, but needs its sleeves sewn on, front skirts, robings and a ton of trimming!

No comments: